Last June, I cooked a baked chicken dish that pleased a lot of people. The chicken was flavored with lemon and orange, it’s a one pan dish that bakes in the oven so there’s no stirring required. But there were a couple of readers who PM’d (via the Facebook page) me asking if there was a way to do the dish on the stove top. I gave them the usual “I couldn’t say because I haven’t tried that” because that was the honest truth. But now, I have. Both our ovens are out of commission and I have to get more creative than usual with the stovetop. And this skillet chicken with lime, orange and herbs was one of the results.
It’s basically the same as the baked herbed 2-citrus chicken except for the a slightly modified cooking procedure and the substitution of four small limes for the lemon. Our lime tree is bearing fruits faster than we can make mojitos so I thought I’d use some for cooking. Note though that, as I said, our limes are small. If yours are almost the same size as lemons, you might want to use one one or two limes. I used chicken drumsticks but you can use other chicken parts. What I do not recommend are fillets as you need the bird’s bones to give the meat a deep flavor.
Recipe: Skillet chicken with lime, orange and herbs
- about 1 k. of chicken portions
- 1 tbsp. of salt
- 1/4 tsp. of pepper
- 1/2 tsp. of paprika
- 3 tbsps. of olive oil
- 2 to 4 limes, depending on their size, sliced into 1/4-inch rings
- 1 orange, sliced into 1/4-inch rings
- 2 leek stalks (white and light green portions only), cut into strips
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. of dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp. of dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. of fennel seeds
- Place the chicken in a bowl. Add the salt, pepper and paprika. Mix and rub the seasonings into the chicken.
- Heat the olive oil in a wide frying pan (I used a cast iron pan; you can use any heavy-bottomed pan).
- Add the chicken pieces, skin side down and in a single layer. Brown over high heat for four to five minutes per side.
- Distribute the rest of the ingredients over and around the chicken, lower the heat, cover the pan tightly and allow the chicken to cook in the lime and orange juices for about 40 minutes. No stirring, please.
- When the chicken is done, sprinkle in some chopped parsley and, for a rustic look, serve in the skillet.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 50 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4